Welcome to the Acorn Inn, Eldwick
Established 200 years ago in the hamlet of Eldwick Beck, ‘The Beerhouse’ became ‘The Acorn Inn’ from 1875. Accommodation upstairs, in 1841, served Eldwick Reservoir workers and later Shipley Glen visitors who used the club room and tea room. From 1914 ‘The Acorn Inn’ was tied to Holmes Bingley Brewery. The Airedale Beagles of Eldwick began and ended hunts here in the Tetley’s era. In recent times, post war, the smoke room, tap room and lounge gave way to today’s open plan bar and dining area, augmented by an attractive patio outside.
The Acorn Inn was established c.1820 and was a fully licensed inn, with accommodation for guests and lodgers. Navvies working on the nearby reservoirs in 1841 lodged here. The Green was previously called Commons Lane. 9 The Green was a single storey cottage built c.1800, which during the 1939-45 War, was used as the base of the local Home Guard. The building has since been demolished.
The Traveller’s Rest (c.1800) was a beerhouse, rather than an inn, but like many other beer houses, it accommodated another use, in the case a grocer’s. Brewhouse was added in 1860.
The Travellers Rest closed in 1927. Bridge Cottage was a general store and by c.1900 housed the Beck Café. Wooden refreshment rooms were provided in the rear to The Green for weekend visitors walking up the glen.
The Acorn Inn is under the management of ‘Pickles Pubs‘, which is an family business established in 2006.
Hidden away in the village of Eldwick, an ideal place to lose yourself in a quiet hamlet. A log burning stove in the Winter, or sat out in the South facing beer garden in the summer.